I’ve been wanting to make some yarn wrapped wire words for FOREVER! I saw one years ago which you can see here and which I saved on my “Handmade Ideas” Pinterest board (along with one thousand other things I want to make in this lifetime!). There are also these wire initials which use fabric scraps instead of yarn and which are also very yummy.
As you’ll see, my technique was wrap the wire first, then twist into the word. But you can also twist the word first and then wrap it in yarn for a more permanent word. My words can be untwisted and re-twisted into other words, and I kind of liked that idea.
[ I am a participant in affiliate programs designed to provide a means for bloggers to earn small fees at no cost to you by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. ]
Supplies needed for Yarn Wrapped Wire Words
~ Yarn (I buy mine at craft stores)
How to make Yarn Wrapped Wire Words
1. First, I twisted the wire into the two words to see how long each piece needed to be. Then I doubled each length to twist together to make a thicker wire.
2. Start wrapping the yarn around the wire. You don’t need to glue it down, just wrap around the ends.
3. When you get to end, use a dot of hot glue to finish off the end.
4. Twist each yarn wrapped wire into the words. It takes a little wiggling to make them flat, but you can figure it out!
Now I want to make so many more words: hello, explore, kind, brave, dream, love, hooray! Share any you make with me on Instagram!
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Did you like this post? Here are some more yarn DIYs: